| Me in a cable car over the Thames River! |
I hugged my friends and looking behind them, I glanced at the glistening Thames river through misty eyes.
Today has been wonderful despite the usual tube line disruptions and riled up people. I had to spend my last day in London doing something I can feel good about.
I heard Brie leave early this morning as she shuffled to get all her stuff downstairs.
As I slept more, I could sense that my mind was already planning on what to do today. Although I planned to go to Camden Market and Brick Lane, those two did not pan out because of my timing. I spent most of the morning getting all my stuff packed and some clothes cleaned up.
| City of London. |
The cable cars got me to North Greenwich pier where I eventually got on a bus to visit Greenwich village one more time. I walked around for a little bit and ate food at the Market, where after a while I left to go to the Southbank.
| Cable cars!! |
My friend, Daniela, bought tickets for "King Lear" at the National Theatre for me, her, and Zach, where I felt was appropriate to end my last night in London. I love the Southbank, for some reason. It became one of my favorite places I've visited while on this program and I know that I could come back and still feel happy when I'm there.
The play was long, but I enjoyed it because it was a challenging tragic play about family issues and war. After the show, I got one last glimpse of the city over the Thames and I let out a few tears.
I can't help but feel overly attached to the city. I've done so many things that I didn't think I could do. This whole experience has taught me a little more about myself and I have so many stories to tell when I get home.
I even felt compelled to write a few inspired lines about my feelings from today and the program itself:
London: like a pair of well-worn shoes
that need to be left behind.
The sweetness of the air
along the glistening Thames
fills my aching lungs.
I've grown a little
and had to mend the blisters,
the puffy eyes,
the sore calves...
that need to be left behind.
The sweetness of the air
along the glistening Thames
fills my aching lungs.
I've grown a little
and had to mend the blisters,
the puffy eyes,
the sore calves...
London: like changing out bed sheets
after nights of restlessness.
after nights of restlessness.
I'll sleep with the skyline
etched under my lids,
the tops of the trees
against my eye lashes,
the memories lulling me to sleep.
It's time to get new shoes
in case I venture through once more.
etched under my lids,
the tops of the trees
against my eye lashes,
the memories lulling me to sleep.
It's time to get new shoes
in case I venture through once more.
I greet this moment like a friend:
Until we meet again,
London.
| View of the Eye from the National Theatre. |
You are truly a great writer.
ReplyDelete