The village of Sissinghurst is part of the county of Kent in the Southeast of England. The garden in Sissinghurst Castle is known to be the most famous garden in the country and the world. I've seen beautiful gardens in Hampton Court and various places in London, but something about this garden rivals the royal botanical gardens that England's culture creates.
Prior to coming to England, my mom told a doctor during a medical visit that I was coming here to study English Literature. He then told her that he was distantly related to people that lived in Sissinghurst and recommended the village as a place I should definitely visit.
I'm so glad I did. I didn't really know what to expect, really. When people think of England, there are the big names that tend to be other people's destinations, like Stratford-Upon-Avon and Stonehenge. Sissinghurst is a hidden gem.
The place has a long history with French prisoners and a famous poet named Vita Sackville-West.
Vita was a headstrong, vivacious woman who longed for a place to call her own. She and her husband, Harold Nicolson, found the Sissinghurst Castle and made it their home. Then, their garden grew along with their legacy.
| At the entrance of the path to the estate. |
| The castle itself! |
| View of one of the gardens from atop the castle. |
| One of their picturesque lakes. |
If there was any underexposed destination I could recommend, it would be this place. You can spend a whole day here and still want more. There are HUGE parts of the land that I didn't get to see on this trip because of the weather, but I really want to return here.
Heck, I think I'd like to live here. Vita had the right idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment