01 April 2014

Day 7 - London time travelling day!

Today's classes are two starkly different, yet interconnected, concepts about London, from Victorian era to Contemporary times.

This morning, not only am I not completely caught of up with Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, I don't even have the suggested edition that our professor assigned! I hope I can manage for the next few class sessions. I am powering through Book 1 of the story, but I'm glad I'm still reading it.

We talked a lot about how place, culture, time, and art is all here in London, as well as other places around England. Crockenwell Street, which is just down the road from our classroom on Great James, is where Oliver Twist is running down after being accused of stealing a wealthy old gentleman's handkerchief. Walking down there, I felt a slight chill imagining a little boy scurrying down the road in 1830's London.

The second class was focused on more current events, where we discussed politics and history throughout the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. London is one of those everchanging cities where history overlaps with current times and the country is constantly in turmoil with itself.

Plus, a few jokes about colonization from our British faculty. :D

Maybe I'm still trying to adjust, but today seemed pretty mellow and easy going. I am still not entirely sure how my weeks or weekends are panning out because I'm still half-way across the Atlantic.

Tomorrow, I'll be joining the walking tours of Arts, Architecture, and Society class to maybe get some inspiration again. I've still got many weeks to be adventurous!

Also, because it's April Fools Day, my facebook is filled with people getting "engaged" and into relationships. For me, today was still my adjustment period!

No comments:

Post a Comment